The Roddenberry Vault reveals never-before-seen Star Trek footage in HD
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, comes this three-disc Blu-ray release featuring previously unseen footage from the show’s production and 12 classic episodes, which is due to land on Monday 5 December 2016.
During the shooting of Star Trek, reels and reels of episodic footage were left on the cutting room floor and later preserved in film canisters by the Roddenberry Estate. These alternate takes, deleted scenes, omitted dialogue, out-takes, and original visual FX elements have now been catalogued, transferred and pieced together to be inserted into the two featurettes and a three-part documentary that are at the core of this box-set from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution.
The 12 episodes (selected for their relevance to the vault materials) are from the 1080p High Definition film scans done in 2006 for the re-mastering project, and are presented here in both DTS 7.1 Master Audio and newly-restored original Mono. There are also isolated music tracks on 11 of the episodes, while three contain newly-recorded audio commentaries.
The three documentaries are:
• Inside The Roddenberry Vault: in which Rod Roddenberry introduces viewers to the discovery of his father’s long-lost Star Trek film reels.
• Star Trek: Revisiting A Classic: a look back at the origins of the iconic series, including glimpses of life on the set with new interviews featuring guest stars, directors and production personnel.
• Strange New Worlds: exploring the creation of the classic Star Trek visuals, featuring newly-found original visual effects elements photography.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX
• The Corbomite Maneuver
• Space Seed
• This Side of Paradise (plus audio commentary by Dorothy ‘DC’ Fontana and Gabrielle Stanton)
• Inside the Roddenberry Vault (Part 1)
• Star Trek: Revisiting a Classic
• The Devil in the Dark
• The City on the Edge of Forever (plus audio commentary by Roger Lay Jr, Scott Mantz and Mark A Altman)
• Operation – Annihilate!
• Inside the Roddenberry Vault (Part 2)
• Strange New Worlds: Visualising the Fantastic
• Who Mourns for Adonais?
• Mirror, Mirror
• The Trouble with Tribbles (plus audio commentary by David Gerrold and David A Goodman)
• Return to Tomorrow
• Inside the Roddenberry Vault (Part 3)
• Swept Up: Snippets from the Cutting Room Floor
The Roddenberry Vault on Blu-ray is now available for pre-order on Amazon.
Posted on November 20, 2016, in Cult TV News, Might See, Sci-Fi and tagged BFI Blu-ray release, Star Trek, Star Trek: The Original Series, The Roddenberry Vault. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.