The Beyond (1981) | Lucio Fulci’s Italian Southern Gothic horror gets a Special Edition Blu-Ray from Shameless Films
In 1981, New Yorker Liza Merril (Catriona MacColl) arrives in Louisiana to claim a seedy, isolated hotel as her inheritance. In 1927, evil spirits possessed the hotel and the manager hasn’t been seen since. Liza is advised to abandon her inheritance. But the locals are suspicious of strangers! Liza is befriended by Dr John McCabe (David Warbeck), who tells her that the hotel has one of the seven gateways to hell. According to a prophecy, when the gates are opened, the dead walk on earth… But country folk are a superstitious lot – aren’t they?
Lucio Fulci’s celebrated 1981 Italian Southern Gothic horror fever dream – and the second in his Gates of Hell series – is out now on Blu-ray (Region B) in the UK from Shameless Films, remastered from a new 2k scan in its original aspect 2.35:1 ratio, with English and Italian audio and English subtitles, and includes the following extras including four different versions of the prologue.
For the first time ever The Beyond is also presented with four different versions of the prologue, seamlessly branched, allowing fans of Fulci’s masterpiece to see the original colour footage which the film was actually shot on, as never seen before and show the various stages of the post-production process of this landmark film.
• The now accepted standard sepia
• The original colour camera footage
• The B&W version
• A new fourth-way: presented as an homage to director Lucio Fulci and DOP Sergio Salvati
For the new alternative prologue version Shameless have used the restored colour camera footage as a base on which a new golden toning was applied in reference to known considerations from Salvatti. The result is that the reds of the gore are now strikingly visible and all the light sources such as the torches and car headlights are much more luminous.
• Emily’s Eyes: new interview with Cinzia Monreale (with English subtitles)
• Arachnophobia: new interview with Michele Mirabella (with English subtitles)
• Murder, They Wrote: new interview with scriptwriter Giorgio Mariuzzo on working with Lucio Fulci (with English subtitles)
• Audio commentary from Sergio Salvati (Director of Photography) with new English subtitles
• Audio commentary from stars Catriona McCall and David Warbeck
• Lucio Fulci Speaks: Short conversation from the film set
Order direct from the Shameless shop: http://bit.ly/SHAM224